How to give your colleague a memorable maternity leave send off
Many of you will have colleagues heading off on maternity leave soon. Often it isn’t until the few days before your colleague leaves that someone asks what the team is doing by way of send off. Over the years working in offices, I’ve seen send off that have ranged from nothing to very memorable celebrations. Having gone on maternity leave myself, I know that the gestures made by your team go a long way to making you feel valued by your team. Where no thought has been given to the send off, the reason will most likely be lack of planning by a team but, to an individual, it can be quite hurtful if you just leave the office as usual (when in fact you’re about to give birth and not see your colleagues for several months).
Here are 3 tips to help make your colleagues feel special before going on maternity leave:
- Start planning early and decide who is going to organise the event/gift. It may not be your responsibility but mention it to your team leader/PA (whoever is usually in charge of organising maternity leave send offs). Don’t assume they will remember or they may think that someone else is planning it.
- Hold a daytime event. By late pregnancy, your colleague will most likely be getting tired so the last thing she may want to do after work is go out for evening drinks (when she can’t drink) and get home late. The nicest events I have seen has been afternoon tea just before the end of the working day. All you need is some cakes and refreshments that your colleague can enjoy!
- Give your colleague a thoughtful maternity leave gift as a token of your appreciation of her. It is always a good idea to include something for the mother as well as the baby as a thank you for all her hard work and to wish her luck over the coming months. Our changing bags filled with luxurious gifts are very popular maternity leave gifts as the mothers love getting a new bag (who doesn’t?!) and there are gifts inside for both the mother and baby.
How The Essential Bag Company can help you with your maternity leave gift:
- You can be assured that you’re sending a high quality gift as all of our products are from luxury brands such as Petit Bateau, Aspinal of London, Charbonnel et Walker, Crabtree & Evelyn, Burt’s Bees and many more.
- You don’t even need to leave your desk. It’s quick and easy to order as we have ready made/pre-filled bags available. Order by noon for Next Day Delivery.
- No need to waste time wrapping as our bags come beautifully wrapped and with a handwritten gift card.
- You can create your own bag to suit your budget.
- We can help you choose your gifts – just give us a call or email us.
The Essential Bag Company’s maternity leave gift range includes stylish changing bags from Storksak, PacaPod and Babymel filled with luxury gifts to spoil the mother to be and new baby. Choose from one of our ready made bags or create your own bag.